The internship, previously referred to as student teaching, serves as the teacher candidate’s culminating clinical experience. Under the guidance of a University Supervisor and a Mentor Teacher, the student intern assumes the duties of a full-time classroom teacher, from planning and executing lessons to classroom management.
Applying for 5th year Internship (Five Year Program Only)
Application for Admission/Continuation into the Graduate Program – Due by January 20, 2023
Student Internship Guidelines – Due by January 20, 2023
Applying for the Elementary Education Specialization (M.S. Five Year Program Only)
Application for Specialization – Due by January 20, 2023
Applying for the Internship (Post Baccalaureate and Undergraduate Students Only)
Teacher candidates submit applications for internship placements via the following link:
- Spring 2023 Student Internship Application is due September 16th by 5 pm.
- It is recommended that you meet with your adviser by the deadline to make sure all necessary course work and testing is completed before your internship.
- Fall 2023 Student Internship Application is due January 27th by 5 pm.
- It is recommended that you meet with your adviser by the deadline to make sure all necessary course work and testing is completed before your internship
Outline of Internship Placement Process
- The Director of Clinical Experiences prepares lists of prospective interns by program and for program directors and department chair review.
- Program directors and chairs confirm lists of interns requiring assignment.
- Mentor teachers are solicited to work with specific programs based on the recommendations of instructional faculty and school-based administrators. School administrators confirm availability of mentor teachers. Confirmed interns respond to emailed requests from the Director of Clinical Experiences for placement interviews.
- The Director of Clinical Experiences shares the open-ended responses on the internship application and relevant information from the placement interviews with school personnel who assist in the matching placement process.
- Following placement interviews, tentative intern/mentor teacher assignments are made by the Director of Clinical Experiences, with input from mentor teachers and administrators.
- The Director of Clinical Experiences confirms placements with interns, mentor school administrators and program directors.
- The Director of Clinical Experiences electronically (email) distributes confirmation letters to teachers and assignment lists to program coordinators and school administrators.
For any questions regarding clinical experiences, practicum and/or internships, please contact:
Kristina Peck, M.A.
Director of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships
Phone: (540) 654-1351
Seacobeck Hall, Room 207