Licensure Information

To apply for licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia, you must submit all your required paperwork for approval and verification to the College of Education. Once your application has been approved by the College,  it will be sent with all the required paperwork to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). VDOE will contact you directly when your license has been approved. For specific Virginia Licensure Information, go to

Students seeking licensure should submit their applications as follows:

For all students in five-year programs:  Dr. Courtney Clayton, Associate Dean, James Farmer Hall Room 224 or via mail to UMW, College of Education, 1301 College Avenue, Fredericksburg, VA  22401, ATT: Dr. Courtney Clayton

For all students in the post-baccalaureate program: Dr. Jane Huffman, Director of Advanced Programs, Stafford Campus, Gates-Hudson Building Room 225 or via mail to UMW, College of Education, 121 University Boulevard, Fredericksburg, VA  22406, ATT: Dr. Jane Huffman

UMW Graduates and students seeking licensure in a state other than Virginia:

If you have received or are in the process of receiving your Virginia State License and have graduated from the University of Mary Washington’s College of Education, you may request a College Verification Form by completing the online request form here.