This admissions process is for currently enrolled UMW students.
Students can register for Phase I courses (EDUC 206 & EDUC 207) prior to applying to COE. Students need to apply to COE during the semester they are enrolled in Phase I. Admission decisions will be made at the conclusion of the Phase I semester. A student must be admitted to COE to continue beyond Phase I.
Students should enroll in Phase I according to the following timeline.
- Elementary Education: Second semester of the first year
- Secondary Education: First semester of the second year
- Pre K-12 Education: First semester of the second year
- Special Education: Second semester of the first year
*Any currently enrolled UMW student who had not yet begun the education program and is beyond the recommended start dates above should contact Dr. April Brecht (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Elementary Education students will be able to declare Education as their major once Phase I is complete and the student has been formally admitted to the program. The major declaration form can be submitted to the COE Associate Dean.
How to Apply:
For admission to the education program and permission to take education courses beyond Phase I, you must:
- Earn at least a 2.5 Overall GPA and a 3.0 in the education courses by the end of Phase I;
- Pass the Praxis Core exam or have qualifying substitute test scores (see passing criteria).
- Complete the online application for admission to the College of Education.
Fall Admission Deadline
November 20, 2020 at 5pm
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Should I wait until my grades are awarded to confirm that I have the GPA requirement?
No. Turn in your application before the deadline. We look up all GPAs after your grades are turned in at the end of the semester.
- What qualifying substitute test scores can I use to enter the education program?
See Testing Requirements for qualifying test scores.
- What do I do if I don’t have the qualifying sores?
See Testing Requirements for testing options.
- Do I have to have my qualifying scores before I apply to the education program?
Yes. You will need to submit qualifying test scores along with your application.
- Do I have to have my qualifying scores before I can take any education courses?
No. You may enroll in Phase I courses (EDUC 206 & EDUC 207) prior to completing the required tests.
- Who should I talk to if I have questions about testing and passing qualifying scores?
Please contact Dr. April Brecht, Director of Advising Center Services at (540) 286-8032 or email@example.com.
- Do you accept application after the deadline?
Yes, but late applications will be accepted on a space available basis.
- What do I do after I have applied?
We process your application and calculate your GPA once your grades are submitted at the end of the semester (at the beginning of Winter Break or Summer Break). We notify you through your UMW email of the outcome and provide instructions for adding Phase II courses.
For any questions regarding undergraduate admissions, please contact:
Dr. April Brecht
Director of Advising Center Services
Phone: (540) 286-8032