This admissions process is for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors.
*The Adapted Special Education 5 year program will continue for all UMW students who have been accepted into that program to start spring 2018. We will no longer be accepting students into that program starting in the fall of 2018.
How to Apply:
For admission to the education program and permission to take the first education course, EDUC 203 or 204, you must:
- Earn at least a 2.5 Overall GPA in a minimum of 12 UMW credit hours;
- * Pass the Praxis Core exam or have qualifying substitute test scores (see passing criteria). Students may take nine education credits before submitting passing test scores;
- Complete the online application for admission to the College and to enroll in the first course, EDUC 203 or 204: Introduction to Teaching and Learning.
* Priority acceptance will be given to students who have passed qualifying exams. Students can be admitted to EDUC 203 or 204, and provisionally admitted without these scores, but will not be officially admitted into the education program, and are limited to three education courses (including EDUC 203 or 204), until they submit passing scores.
Fall Admission Deadline
April 24, 2020 @ 5pm
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Do my dual enrollment courses or AP scores count for the 12 UMW credit hours?
No. You must complete the 12 credits at UMW.
- Should I wait until my grades are awarded to confirm that I have the GPA requirement?
No. Turn in your application before the deadline. We look up all GPAs after your grades are turned in at the end of the semester.
- What qualifying substitute test scores can I use to enter the education program?
See Testing Requirements for qualifying test scores.
- What do I do if I don’t have the qualifying sores?
See Testing Requirements for testing options.
- Do I have to have my qualifying scores before I apply to the education program and to take the first course?
No. Turn in your application by the deadline even if you have not taken the test or you have not yet received your qualifying scores. Priority acceptance will be given to students who have passed qualifying exams. Students can be admitted to EDUC 203 or 204, and provisionally admitted without these scores, but will not be officially admitted into the education program, and are limited to nine education credit hours (including EDUC 203 or 204), until they submit passing scores.
- Who should I talk to if I have questions about testing and passing qualifying scores?
Please contact Dr. April Brecht, Director of Advising Center Services at (540) 286-8032 or email@example.com.
- What if there is an item on the application I cannot complete?
Leave it blank. We do expect you to complete as much as possible and complete the Leadership, Experiences with Youth and Essay sections. All applications must be signed.
- Do you accept application after the deadline?
Yes but late applications will be accepted on a space available basis.
- What do I do after I have applied?
We process your application and calculate your GPA once your grades are submitted at the end of the semester (at the beginning of Winter Break or Summer Break). We notify you through your UMW email of the outcome and provide instructions for adding EDUC 203 or EDUC 204.
March 21, 2019 @ 4pm – Trinkle 207
April 15, 2019 @ 4pm – Trinkle 138
Contact: Dr. Brecht
For any questions regarding undergraduate admissions, please contact:
Dr. April Brecht
Director of Advising Center Services
Phone: (540) 286-8032