Transfer FAQs

I have a questions. Who do I ask?

Question Subject Contact(s)
Course Always ask the course professor before your Program Director.
Program Ask Dr. April Brecht Director of Advising Center Services
Phone: (540) 286-8032 Email: or your Program Director. (See below).
Practicum/Internships Ask Ms. Kristina Peck, Director of Clinical Experience Phone: (540) 654-1346, Email:, Office: James Farmer Hall, Room 227B


Who is my Program Director?

Program Program Director Contact Information
Elementary Education John P. Broome, PhD (540) 654-1352
preK-12 Education John P. Broome, PhD (540) 654-1352
Secondary Education John P. Broome, PhD (540) 654-1352
Special Education: Adapted Curriculum John P. Broome, PhD (540) 654-1352
Special Education: General Curriculum John P. Broome, PhD (540) 654-1352


When do I get an education adviser and assigned a cohort?

After successfully completing EDUC 203 or 204 students are:

  • assigned an education advisor, and
  • placed in a professional studies cohort that is determined by the year they will complete the graduate coursework. Students are required to attend cohort advising sessions.


How to I remain in Good Standing and eligibility in my program?

To remain in the program, students must maintain satisfactory performance in both course work and field experiences, follow all regulations, and adhere to all application deadlines. In particular, students must do the following:

1. maintain good academic standing with an overall GPA of 2.5 or better;
2. achieve a GPA of 3.0 or better on the required professional education courses;
3. demonstrate the ability to meet the Minimum Performance Standards;
4. be current on all Professional Clearances;
5. achieve satisfactory evaluations in all field experiences;
6. attend all mandatory cohort advising meetings; and
7.  maintain a record of course work and practicum hours.

How do I get Credit-by-Examination?

Credit-by-Examination Procedures