Students must complete Step 1 (COE Phase I Questionnaire) in order to register for Phase I courses (EDUC 206 & EDUC 207) . Students need to apply to COE during the semester they are enrolled in Phase I. Admission decisions will be made prior to registration for the subsequent semester. A student must be admitted to COE to continue beyond Phase I.
Elementary Education students will be able to declare Education as their major once Phase I is complete and the student has been formally admitted to the program.
For admission to the education program and permission to take education courses beyond Phase I, you must:
- Earn at least a 2.5 Overall GPA and a 3.0 in the education courses by the end of Phase I;
- Pass the Praxis Core exam or have qualifying substitute test scores (see passing criteria).
- Complete the online application for admission to the College of Education.
October 1st for Spring
February 15th for Fall
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Should I wait until my grades are awarded to confirm that I have the GPA requirement?
No. Turn in your application before the deadline. We look up all GPAs after your grades are turned in at the end of the semester.
- What qualifying substitute test scores can I use to enter the education program?
See Testing Requirements for qualifying test scores.
- What do I do if I don’t have the qualifying sores?
See Testing Requirements for testing options.
- Do I have to have my qualifying scores before I apply to the education program?
Yes. You will need to submit qualifying test scores along with your application.
- Do I have to have my qualifying scores before I can take any education courses?
No. You may enroll in Phase I courses (EDUC 206 & EDUC 207) prior to completing the required tests.
- Who should I talk to if I have questions about testing and passing qualifying scores?
Please contact Dr. April Brecht, Director of Advising Center Services at (540) 286-8032 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do you accept application after the deadline?
Yes, but late applications will be accepted on a space available basis.
- What do I do after I have applied?
We process your application and calculate your GPA once your grades are submitted at the end of the semester (at the beginning of Winter Break or Summer Break). We notify you through your UMW email of the outcome and provide instructions for adding Phase II courses.
For any questions regarding undergraduate admissions, please contact:
Dr. April Brecht
Director of Advising Center Services
Phone: (540) 286-8032