Transfer Admissions

Transfer students should contact the COE Director of Advising Center Services early in the transfer process to discuss the transferability of any education courses.  Students can transfer EDU 200 and EDU 207 from the Virginia Community College System.  All other education courses will be evaluated individually.  Students must apply to the College of Education prior to their first semester at UMW in order to begin taking education courses immediately.

If you do not receive transfer credit for EDUC 206 and EDUC 207, you may enroll in these two courses (Phase I) prior to applying to COE.  You must be admitted to COE to register for courses beyond Phase I.

How to Apply:

Transfer Student Requirements
For admission and permission to take education courses beyond Phase I, you must:

  1. Enroll as a degree-seeking student at the University of Mary Washington;
  2. Earn at least 3.25 GPA from your transferring institution;
  3. Pass the Praxis Core exam or have qualifying substitute test scores (see passing criteria);
  4. Complete the online application for admission to the College of Education.


Online Application

Fall Admission Deadline
November 20, 2020 at 5pm (or as soon as you receive admission to UMW)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • What if I do not have a 3.25 GPA from my transferring institution?
    You will need to spend the first semester at UMW establishing an overall UMW GPA of at least a 2.5 on a minimum of 12 credits.
  • Should I wait until my grades are awarded to confirm that I have the GPA requirement?
    No. Turn in your application before the deadline. We look up all GPAs after your grades are turned in at the end of the semester.
  • What qualifying substitute test scores can I use to enter the education program?
    See Testing Requirements for qualifying test scores.
  • What do I do if I don’t have the qualifying sores?
    See Testing Requirements for testing options.
  • Do I have to have my qualifying scores before I apply to the education program?
    Yes.  You will need to submit qualifying test scores along with your application.
  • Do I have to have my qualifying scores before I can take any education courses?
    No.  You may enroll in Phase I courses (EDUC 206 & EDUC 207) prior to completing the required tests.
  • Who should I talk to if I have questions about testing and passing qualifying scores?
    Please contact Dr. April Brecht, Director of Advising Center Services at (540) 286-8032 or
  • Do you accept applications after the deadline?
    Yes, but late applications will be accepted on a space available basis.
  • What do I do after I have applied?
    We process your application and calculate your GPA once your grades are submitted at the end of the semester (at the beginning of Winter Break or Summer Break). We notify you through your UMW email of the outcome and provide instructions for adding Phase II courses.

For any questions regarding undergraduate admissions, please contact:

Dr. April Brecht
Director of Advising Center Services
Phone: (540) 286-8032