Myers, H. N. F. (2013, March). More than just play: University students describe their authentic learning experience at play lab. The Teacher Educator’s Journal. 120.
Myers, H.N.F. (2013, March). The role of universities: Supporting social skills deficits in students with disabilities. Successful strategies from the disability field. Rowman and Littlefield Publishers.
- All About Autism Spectrum Disorders – terms and definitions with links to multiple autism-specific sites.
- Asperger’s Disorder Homepage – This site is a good introduction to Asperger’s Disorder (AD).
- Autism Education Foundation - The Autism Education Foundation aims to make existing teaching materials on autism available to instructors in a variety of disciplines.
- Autism Information Center, DD, NCBDDD, CDC – Information on autism. Provided by the US Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.
- Autism Fact Sheet: National Institute of Neurological Disorders - Autism (sometimes called classical autism) is the most common condition in a group of developmental disorders known as the autism spectrum disorders.
- Autism Society of America: What is Autism? – Autism is a complex developmental disability that typically appears during the first three years of life and is the result of a neurological disorder that affects the normal functioning of the brain.
- The Autism Source presented by Maap Services, Inc. – MAAP Services (for Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, and PDD) offers parents, educators, and professionals a newsletter, information about related disorders, local professional and parent supports, the MAAP Services conference, legal rights, publications, and other information sources.
- Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies- news, information, continuing education.
- Commonwealth Autism Service - Provides local autism resource information. Holds an annual conference, and lists regional and national conferences related to autism.
- Division TEACCH- Treatment and Education of Autistic and related Communication-handicapped Children. Delivers services to people with autism and their families throughout North Carolina, trains professionals and parents about autism.
- Organization for Autism Research – Provides parent and teachers guides. Sponsors the Cure Autism Now walks. Holds an annual conference in Arlington with some of the top researchers in the field.
- NIMH for the Public - National Institutes of Health: This site is designed for the general public with information about the newest clinical research.
- Society for the Autistically Handicapped (SFTAH) (UK)
- Teaching Students with Autism – visual support and information about the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS).
- The International Center for Disability Resources on the Internet – This website has a wealth of information related to accessibility, disability and possible technologies.
- 1-800-WheelChair.ca – a guide to assistive technologies; links to additional resources.
- Creating Accessible PDFs – This tome is 128 pages.
- HTML Tools by Hermish – accessibility evaluation tools.
- Section 508 Tools - resources for Section 508 compliance for web designers.
Journals and Magazines
- Ability Magazine promotes awareness and highlights the lives of people with disabilities.
- AT Journal is an online publication focusing on the latest news and resources in assistive technology. Educational resources and advocacy tools are also provided at the site.
- Assistive Technology Outcomes and Benefits is an on-line, peer-reviewed, cross-disability, transdisciplinary journal that publishes articles related to the benefits and outcomes of assistive technology across the lifespan and helps practitioners, consumers, and family members advocate for effective assistive technology practices. Jointly published by ATIA and Special Education Assistive Technology (SEAT) Center at Illinois State University.
- The Family Guide to Assistive Technology intends to help parents learn more about assistive technology and how it can help their children. The Guide includes tips for getting started, resources for funding, and spotlights on several case studies.
- Journal of Special Education Technology (JSET) presents up-to-date information and opinions about issues, research, policy, and practice related to the use of technology in the field of special education.
- Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness is an international, interdisciplinary journal of record on blindness and visual impairment that publishes scholarship and information and serves as a forum for the exchange of ideas, airing of controversies, and discussion of issues.
- RESNA (Rehabilitation Engineering & Assistive Technology society of America – about assistive technology and rehabilitation technologies and the delivery of related services.
- Special Education Technology Practice (SETP) features articles on both assistive and instructional technology that have a practical focus for professionals working in special education. SETP highlights applications of technology that enhance teaching, learning, and performance.
- Speech Technology Magazine features news, independent analysis, new product announcements, special features, in-depth looks at major issues involved in implementing speech technology solutions.
- T.H.E. Journal has served the educator community in elementary through post-secondary classrooms for over 30 years, featuring articles on learning with technology and effective mechanisms for success.
- Technology and Disability communicates knowledge about the field of assistive technology devices and services, within the context of the lives of end users-persons with disabilities and their family members.