- DIY.org has a many good projects and challenges to try.
- Exploratorium – has a Tinkering Studio with many articles, activities for you to explore. They also have a good blog to share information and ideas.
- FabLab@Schools - project ideas, tutorials, and resources
- Instructables – users submit project guides of many types to try.
- Make: Projects – the Project page of Make. Great for all ages.
- Makerbot – has many 3D printing curriculum ideas.
- MIT Media Lab Soft Circuit Guide – both high tech and low tech.
- eTextiles - Find ideas and projects
- Constructionism in Practice: Designing, Thinking, and Learning in A Digital World– By Yasmin B. Kafai and Mitchel Resnick
- 50 Dangerous Things You Should Let Your Kids Do – By Gever Tulley and Julie Spiegler
- Invent To Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom – By Sylvia Libow Martinez & Gary Stager
- Central Rappahannock Regional Library
- University of Mary Washington Library
- Littlebits - set up circuits in no time
- Squishy Circuits – easy to make conductive dough. Kits are also available.
- Adafruit Electronics – very similar to Sparkfun – lots of materials, education stuff, tutorials.
- MaKey MaKey – an invention kit for the 21st century
- Arduino – an open-source electronics prototyping platform
- Raspberry Pi – tiny and cheap computer
- Geocaching – real world treasure hunt
- Scientists League – Scientists and science hobbyists working with and promoting the many tools and skills necessary for science exploration
Hacker Scouts – A collection of resources and support based around STEM
DIYAbility – Projects, workshops, and resources on making and hacking for children with disabilities
- University of Mary Washington – Think Lab - another UMW lab for innovative emergent technologies
Programming for Girls
- Roominate Building Kit – Engineering for girls.
- Goldieblox – Combination of literature and problem-solving/engineering game.
- Tinkercad – Free, online site for 3D design – build objects for 3D printing.
- SketchUp – Free 3D design program, this one can be downloaded.
- Scratch – Project of the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at the MIT Media Lab
Sharing your work
- Instructables – Online site for posting how-to do just about anything. Electronics, textiles, baking, etc.
- Cubelets - Modular robots
- Hummingbird Board – Microcontroller for building interactive robots, designed for upper elementary through HS. Site has demo’s, sample robots, and links to robots for arts.
Kits and Tools
- Dremel - Rotary tool
- RadioShack Hobby Kits - Tools and supplies
- Sparkfun Electronics – Supplier of makers stuff and they have an education section with lots of tutorials and videos.
- Makershed – Supplier, also lots of educational materials.