Testing Requirements for Admission
Students must pass the Praxis Core test or a qualifying substitute in order to be formally admitted to the initial teacher licensure programs at the University of Mary Washington. These scores should be submitted during the application process. If the student does not have passing scores he/she may be considered for provisional admission.
Students can be admitted to EDUC 203 or 204, and provisionally admitted without these scores, but will not be officially admitted into the education program, and are limited to nine education credit hours (including EDUC 203 or 204), until they submit passing scores.
Below are four paths for meeting this requirement.
Option # 1: Praxis Core
Students may pass Praxis Core by earning a score at or above on each of the following subtests:
- Math 150
- Reading 156
- Writing 162
If students have passed a previous PRAXIS I subtest(s) they just need to take the new missing PRAXIS Core subtest(s). Any passing score on a PRAXIS I subtest taken before December 31, 2013 is a substitute for its equivalent subject Core Academic Skills test after January 1, 2014.
Option #2: SAT as a Substitute Test for Praxis Core
- SAT Taken Prior to April 1, 1995 – a score of 1000 with at least 450 on the verbal and 510 on the mathematics tests;
- SAT Taken On or After April 1, 1995 and Prior to March 1, 2016 – a score of 1100 with at least 530 on the verbal and 530 on the mathematics tests;
- SAT Taken On or after March 1, 2016 – a total score of 1170 with at least 580 on Evidence-based Reading and Writing Section and 560 on the Math Section.
Option #3: ACT as a Substitute Test for Praxis Core
- ACT taken October 28, 1989 to April 1, 1995 – a composite score of 21, with the ACT mathematics score no less than 21, and an ACT English Plus Reading score no less than 37. (Due to VDOE regulations, ACT taken before October 28, 1989 will not be accepted).
- ACT taken After April 1, 1995 – a composite score of 24, with the ACT mathematics score no less than 22, and an ACT English Plus Reading score no less than 46
Option #4: VCLA plus Math as a Substitute Test for Praxis Core
A composite VCLA score of 470 (reading and writing) may be substituted for Praxis Core reading and writing exams. Math proficiency must be demonstrated by one of the following:
- Praxis Core math score greater than or equal to 150
- SAT math score greater than or equal to 510 (prior to April 1, 1995)
- SAT math score greater than or equal to 530 (after April 1, 1995 and before March 1, 2016)
- SAT math score greater than or equal to 560 on the Math Section (after March 1, 2016)
- ACT math score greater than or equal to 21 (prior to April 1, 1995)
- ACT math score greater than or equal to 22 (after April 1, 1995)
Important: We can only accept SAT scores passed before March 1, 2016.
Link: Sign Up for Praxis Core
Link: Watch the Praxis™ Test Preparation Webinar Video (Flash, 11 min, 49 sec.) for teacher candidates preparing to take a Praxis test. This on-demand video gives candidates a perfect starting place for their test preparation and can be viewed online at their own convenience.
Need help with Praxis Core – Math?
Child Abuse Recognition and Intervention Training
Individuals must complete training in child abuse recognition and intervention training prior to placement for field experiences.
Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)
The Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) must be passed prior to the internship for all initial teacher licensure programs. The passing score required is 470 (a minimum score of 235 in each Reading and Writing section).
Link: Sign Up for the VCLA
Reading for Virginia Educators Elementary and Special Education (RVE)
The RVE must be passed prior to the internship for individuals seeking licensure in Elementary Education P-6 or Special Education: General Curriculum. The passing score requirement is 157.
Link: Sign Up for the RVE
Praxis II subject area tests must be passed prior to the internship.
Link: Sign Up for Praxis II
Virginia State and Local Civic Education Module