The Office of Clinical Experiences places teacher candidates in diverse school settings in order to gain firsthand knowledge of the highly contextualized nature of schooling. Teacher candidates complete practicum requirements and serve as interns in rural, suburban, and urban settings at various grade levels and courses. In addition, teacher candidates are placed in schools with student populations representing the racial/ ethnic, socio-economic, and linguistic diversity in our region.
Requirements for Clinical Experiences
If you are a NEW student to the College of Education, registered for any practicum bearing courses in the fall of 2015, you need to fill out the following forms (below) and obtain the following clearances to receive your school placement. If you are a RETURNING student, please go to the end of this page for your instructions.
NEW STUDENTS – Fall 2015
1. Fill out the Practicum Information Form. (Links to an external site).
In addition to filling out the practicum information form, you will need to complete the following six professional clearances no later than September 4, 2015 at 5 p.m. in order to receive a placement for your practicum course for the fall semester.
2. Complete the Student Authorization for Screenings Prior to Pre-Service Placements.
3. Background Check/Fingerprinting. Complete the SP-24 Form and bring it to your fingerprinting session. Fill out only Part I. The fingerprint schedule is given below and will be posted on Canvas. Your student account will be charged $37.00 (Fee set by State Police).
You MUST come to one of the fingerprinting sessions listed below and bring all of your forms to the session. DO NOT SIGN the VA Department of Social Services Central Registry Release of Information Form except in the presence of the Notary Public at one of those sessions.
Fredericksburg Campus Fingerprint Schedule—location for Fingerprints is the University Police Station; location for Notary Public is Trinkle 213:
August 27 9am-1pm
August 28 1pm-4pm
August 31 9am-1pm
September 1 1pm-4pm
September 2 9am-1pm
September 3 1 pm-4pm
Stafford Campus Fingerprint Schedule—location for both Fingerprints and Notary Public is North Building 201:
August 24 4:45-6pm
August 25 4:45-6pm
August 26 4:45-6pm
August 27 4:45-6pm
August 31 4:45-6pm
4. Complete the VA Department of Social Services Central Registry Release of Information Form. Fill out only Part I. Please note this form MUST be signed in the presence of a Notary Public. There will be a Notary Public present at the fingerprinting sessions—please check the schedule below. You will need to present some form of official identification with your picture on it e.g. a driver’s license, UMW student ID, passport, etc. Your student account will be charged $7.00 (fee set by CPS).
5. Professional liability insurance. You may do this by putting a rider on your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance or joining a professional education organization. Examples of such organizations include, but are not limited to, the following: Student Virginia Education Association (SVEA) (Student Membership) or the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC).
6. Complete the VDOE Child Abuse Recognition & Intervention Training. Follow the instructions, complete the training and test; print the certificate and submit it to either Ms. Anna Purdue (Fredericksburg Campus) or Ms. Terry Luttrell (Stafford Campus). The module is available at no cost and the one time submission of the certificate will satisfy the requirement for all practica and internships completed during your program of study
7. Tuberculosis or TB screening or test results. You must supply this from a care provider of your choice or go to the Rappahanock Health Department. The UMW Health Center is not accepting TB screening appointments at this time. There will be an opportunity to complete a TB pre-screening survey during the first week of the fall semester.
RETURNING STUDENTS – Fall 2015
You must complete items 1, 2 and 4 above. Please note that item #4, the VA Department of Social Services Central Registry Release of Information Form must be signed in the presence of a Notary Public. Check the Fingerprint schedule above for days/times when there will be a Notary Public on campus.
If you choose not to come to campus on those days/times above, you may bring the forms when they are completed to Terry Luttrell on the Stafford campus, North Building 203, phone (540) 654-1290 (email@example.com) or Kyra Whitehead on the Fredericksburg Campus, (540) 654-1290 Trinkle 223 (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you come after hours, you should leave your forms in the locked drop boxes outside Stafford North Building 203 or Trinkle 213 offices.
For ALL students, again, you must complete all your professional clearances no later than September 4, 2015 at 5 p.m. in order to receive a placement for your practicum course for the fall semester.
Once you have completed all of the requirements above, you will recieve your practicum placement information.
For any questions regarding clinical experiences, practicum and/or internships, please contact:
Shalyn Lapke, PhD
Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships
Phone: (540) 654-1775
Trinkle Hall, Room 216