The internship, previously referred to as student teaching, serves as the teacher candidate’s culminating clinical experience. Under the guidance of a University Supervisor and a Mentor Teacher, the teacher intern assumes the duties of a full-time classroom teacher, from planning and executing lessons to classroom management.
Applying for the Internship (Post Baccalaureate Only)
Teacher candidates submit applications for internship placements via the following link:
- Fall 2016 Internship Application (Post-Baccalaureate) due November 1.
- Spring 2016 Internship Application (Post-Baccalaureate) due June 1.
Outline of Internship Placement Process
- The Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships prepares lists of prospective interns by program and for program directors and department chair review.
- Program directors and chairs confirm lists of interns requiring assignment.
- Mentor teachers are solicited to work with specific programs based on the recommendations of instructional faculty and school-based administrators. School administrators confirm availability of mentor teachers. Confirmed interns respond to emailed requests from the Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships for placement interviews.
- The Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships shares the open-ended responses on the internship application and relevant information from the placement interviews with school personnel who assist in the matching placement process.
- Following placement interviews, tentative intern/mentor teacher assignments are made by the Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships, with input from mentor teachers and administrators.
- The Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships confirms placements with interns, mentor school administrators and program directors.
- The Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships electronically (email) distributes confirmation letters to teachers and assignment lists to program coordinators and school administrators.
For any questions regarding clinical experiences, practicum and/or internships, please contact:
Shalyn Lapke, PhD
Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships
Phone: (540) 654-1775
Trinkle Hall, Room 216