FAQ’s Post-Baccalaureate Initial Licensure Pathway program

students in class

What tests are required for admission to the M.Ed. 

Passing test scores for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators or qualifying SAT or ACT scores must be on file at the time of admission. See the Testing Requirements page for more information.

What is an endorsement area?

An endorsement area is the grade level or subject area you are planning to teach

What are endorsement courses?

Endorsement courses are the undergraduate or graduate course in the teaching content area that are required by the Commonwealth of Virginia to obtain a teacher licensure. A preliminary transcript evaluation for endorsement courses will be completed at the time of admission.  The formal review will be completed and approved by the faculty at the time of admission.   The endorsement course requirements must be completed prior to the internship. Official transcripts are required to verify completion of all endorsement coursework.

What is a provisional license?

A provisional license a nonrenewable license valid for up to three years issued to an individual by a school district.  Students who have allowable deficiencies for full licensure as set forth in the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) licensure regulations may complete the M.Ed. Post-Baccalaureate Initial Licensure Pathway requirements while teaching on a provisional license.

What is a practicum?

The M.Ed. for Initial Licensure requires several courses with practicum field experiences as well as internship/student-teaching requirement.  Each practicum will provide extended time in a school setting to observe in the classroom, examine the dynamics of the school, assist the mentor teacher with classroom tasks and teach lessons.  Placements will be made by the Director of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships in schools representing the racial/ ethnic , socio-economic, and linguistic diversity in our region.  All teacher licensure candidates are required to complete all program practicum field experience requirements for licensure.

If you are already employed by a school as a practicing teacher or teacher aide it may be possible to complete some of the practicum requirements in your current place of employment.

For detailed information regarding the practicum requirements, review the Clinical Experiences Handbook.

What is the internship?

Teacher candidates are required to complete a semester-long full-time teaching internship which involve themselves in the entire school day, as well as afternoon, evening, and weekend activities.   Those students working towards endorsements in multiple school levels (PK-12 or K-6, Special Education or TESL) complete two 7-week placements.

What are the requirements for application to the internship?

To be eligible for the internship, all professional studies courses, endorsement courses, practicum courses and licensure testing requirements MUST be met.  The remaining course work required for the Master of Education may be taken after completion of the internship.

Students  may also complete all of the Master of Education requirements and return as a non-degree student within two semesters of graduation to complete the licensure internship.

What tests are required for initial licensure?

The Commonwealth of Virginia requires the following exams for licensure.  All testing must be completed prior to the internship.

Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment

The Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) must be passed prior to the internship for all initial teacher licensure programs.   The passing score required is 470 (a minimum score of 235 in each Reading and Writing sections).

Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE)

Effective July 1, 2011, the new reading assessments for the Commonwealth of Virginia is:

• Reading for Virginia Educators must be passed by all Elementary and Special Education licensure candidates.   The passing score requirement is 157.

Child Abuse Recognition and Intervention Training

Individuals seeking an initial license must complete training in child abuse recognition and intervention training. Child abuse recognition and intervention training  may be completed at: http://www.vcu.edu/vissta/training;/va_teachers/

Praxis II

Praxis II subject area  test must be passed prior to the internship.

Web sites: