College of Education Mission Statement
The University of Mary Washington’s College of Education is committed to guiding all candidates through a transformative experience by which they become skilled, reflective and responsive practitioners well-prepared to meet 21st century challenges.
The College of Education of the University of Mary Washington prepares educators for the 21st century who are knowledgeable, skilled, collaborative, reflective, and sensitive to diverse learner needs. In upholding the mission of the University, the College of Education is dedicated to providing educational programs to the Commonwealth of Virginia and beyond. To accomplish this, we:
- Are grounded in a strong liberal arts curriculum.
- Emphasize school-based experiences through which candidates solidify their understanding of the nature of the learner and effective teaching and motivational practices.
- Build a diverse community of practice involving strong partnerships among candidates, faculty, local teachers, and administrators.
- Enhance teacher aptitudes for research and critical decision-making and ensure knowledge of learning theories and research-based pedagogy.
- Challenge educators to respond to the changing nature of learning in the 21st century through an emphasis on multi-literacies.