The internship, previously referred to as student teaching, serves as the teacher candidate’s culminating clinical experience. Under the guidance of a University Supervisor and a Mentor Teacher, the teacher intern assumes the duties of a full-time classroom teacher, from planning and executing lessons to classroom management.
Teacher candidates submit applications for internship placements via the following link:
- Fall 2016 Internship Application (Post-Baccalaureate and 5 Year Master of Education) due November 1.
- Spring 2016 Internship Application (Post-Baccalaureate) due June 1.
Outline of Process
- The Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships prepares lists of prospective interns by program and for program directors and department chair review.
- Program directors and chairs confirm lists of interns requiring assignment.
- Mentor teachers are solicited to work with specific programs based on the recommendations of instructional faculty and school-based administrators. School administrators confirm availability of mentor teachers. Confirmed interns respond to emailed requests from the Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships for placement interviews.
- The Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships shares the open-ended responses on the internship application and relevant information from the placement interviews with school personnel who assist in the matching placement process.
- Following placement interviews, tentative intern/mentor teacher assignments are made by the Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships, with input from mentor teachers and administrators.
- The Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships confirms placements with interns, mentor school administrators and program directors.
- The Associate Dean of Clinical Experiences and Partnerships electronically (email) distributes confirmation letters to teachers and assignment lists to program coordinators and school administrators.