Available Program Options include:
- Diverse Student Populations
- Educational Leadership
- Literacy Specialist
- Special Education General Curriculum
- Special Education Adapted Curriculum
- Teaching English as a Second Language
Admission Requirements for the M.Ed. for Professional Development or Added Endorsement
- Fall Admission: April 15: Notification should occur by the first week in June.
- Spring Admission: September 15: Notification should occur by the first week in November.
- Summer Admission: February 15: Notification should occur by the first week in April.
- Educational Leadership Application Filing Date: June
Late applications will be accepted on a space available basis. Please contact the Office of Admissions at 540/286-8030 for clarification.
- Submit a completed Application for Admission, and a non-refundable $50 application fee; Apply Online and have your $50 application fee waived!
- Submit an official transcript from every college or university you’ve attended even if the courses were transferred to another institution;
- Have earned an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university,
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher, 2.75 or higher for the Educational Leadership Program, on undergraduate course work and 3.0 or higher on graduate course work;
- Provide a résumé outlining work experience and education. In addition to your paid work experience and leadership roles you have assumed, please include all volunteer experience related to education. (coaching, teaching religious education, working with Scouts, volunteer work with children, etc.)
- Provide verification of the current Virginia Collegiate Professional or Graduate Professional license;
- Submit two essays (2-3 typed, double-spaced pages each):
- What do you hope to gain from the M.Ed. program? What contributions do you feel you can make to the program as a participant?
- Discuss a current issue in education, why you think it is important, and your stance on it.
An interview may be required as part of the admission process.
Additional Admission Requirements for Educational Leadership (M.Ed. or Added Endorsement)
Admission requirements include all elements listed above as well as:
- Three years of experience as a licensed teacher;
- Three Recommendations from those qualified to address your teaching performance and leadership potential on the forms provided in the admissions application. One of these recommendations must be from your immediate supervisor. (References may be contacted about the leadership potential of the candidate.);
- An interview, and
- A writing exercise as part of the interview that may involve responding to a case study or producing a sample administrative letter;
- Submit two essays to address the questions listed below in place of the two essays questions listed above (2-3 typed, double-spaced pages each);
- Discuss a current issue in educational leadership that you might face as an educational leader.
- A statement of purpose in which you discuss your current and future leadership goals. What contributions do you feel you can make to the program as a participant?